Nosh Rocks Lemon & black pepper oatcakes with a healthy twist of Turmeric 🙂
Ingredients- makes approx. 30 biscuits
- 2 cups, 250g small organic oatflakes
- 70g of organic butter or olive oil
- 100g water
- Juice and zest of bio lemon
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric for that extra bit of healthiness and fab colour!
- Preheat oven to 120 °C, gas mark ½
- Blend down oats until almost a flour- 1 minute in food processor
- Add bicarbonate of soda, salt and turmeric and blend until well incorporated.
- Transfer the dry mixture into a glass bowl
- Add butter / olive oil, water, juice and zest of lemon and mix well
- Leave overnight to soak until you have a stiff dough. You can add extra water if needed.
- Split the dough (easier to manage) and roll out until fairly thin. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper and go over again lightly with the rolling pin to seal pepper into dough.
- Cut into circles or squares
- Bake on a tray or baking paper (don’t stick so no need to grease) for 50 mins to 1 hour until crispy.
- You can turn of the oven and leave the door open to cool
N.B. The reason for recommending bio is to avoid herbicides and pesticides.
Soaking overnight makes the oats easier to digest and increases the absorption of nutrients into our bodies. Cooking at 120c is thought to be the ‘safe’ temperature to avoid creating acrylamide.
Can make ginger cookies by adding 5tsps ground ginger and 60g of coconut sugar, honey or pure maple syrup. N.B. still a sugar hit so this is for occasional treats.